Microsoft released a preview of Windows 11 version 22H2, the company’s next feature update to the Windows 11 operating system, on June 7, 2022.
Windows 11 version 22H2 will be the first feature update release for the Windows 11 operating system. Microsoft recently moved to a release cycle of one major update per year for its Windows 10 operating systems and 11.
The preview version has been released for organizations and home users for testing purposes. Windows 11 version 22H2 will be released to the public in the coming months.
Release Preview is the last phase of the development phase of Windows before it is released as a stable build to the public. Microsoft will release updates for the Release Preview editions in the coming weeks and months to fix issues and make changes to the release before it’s available to all Windows customers.
The preview is available through the following channels for organizations enrolled in the Windows Insider Program for Business:
- Windows Update, Windows Update for Business
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
- Windows Insider Preview download page
- Azure Marketplace
Home users can also download the preview build from the official Windows Insider Preview download website, provided they have joined the Windows Insider program with their Microsoft account.
Devices must meet Windows 11 system requirements, which Microsoft has not changed for version 22H2. There are still workarounds to bypass checks and install Windows 11 on unsupported devices.
Download Windows 11 version preview
All Windows customers can download the preview of Windows 11 version 22H2 from the Windows Insider Preview download pageprovided that a Microsoft account is available that has joined the Windows Insider Program.
Select Windows 11 Insider Preview (Release Preview Channel) – Build 22621 under Editions and follow the onscreen instructions to download the build to the local system. You need to select the desired language and have 24 hours to download Windows 11 ISO image from Microsoft server.
Microsoft points out here that organization admins have additional options for downloading the release preview:
- Azure Marketplace — Release preview is available on Azure Marketplace. Just activate this link to start.
- Windows Update or Windows Update for Business — Devices must be configured for the Windows Insider Program build preview channel through the Windows Update settings page or the Windows Update for Business policy. The preview is offered automatically to these devices, provided that the system requirements are met. Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Microsoft Intune) administrators should enable pre-release builds on Windows Insider and select Release Preview under “Select pre-release channel”.
- Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) — The release preview is available in the Windows Insider Pre-release category in WSUS and Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager.
The preview of Windows 11 version 22H2 marks the last stage of the development phase of the new version of Windows 11. The new feature update will be released in the next phase for the public.
Now you: what do you expect from the new version of Windows 11?