Microsoft released a new stable version of the company’s Edge web browser on May 31, 2022. Microsoft Edge 102 is primarily a security update, which fixes 31 different security issues in the browser.
Most security issues affect Chromium, the heart of the Edge browser, which it shares with Google Chrome and several other browsers, including Vivaldi, Brave, and Opera. Some security patches are specific to Edge, as they address issues in Microsoft Edge-specific components.
Microsoft lists three security issues exclusive to Edge:
- Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability — CVE-2022-30128
- Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability — CVE-2022-30127
- Microsoft Edge Spoofing Vulnerability (Chromium-based) — CVE-2022-26905
Two of the vulnerabilities have a moderate severity rating, one, CVE-2022-26905, a low severity rating. None of the issues appear to be exploited at this point, as Microsoft makes no mention of them on the CVE pages.
The official release notes listing four new policies that Microsoft has added to Microsoft Edge 102. They are:
- AllHttpAuthSchemesAllowedForOrigins – List of origins that allow all HTTP authentications
- OutlookHubMenuEnabled – Allow users to access Outlook menu
- NetworkServiceSandboxEnabled – Enable network service sandbox
- UserAgentClientHintsGREASEUpdateEnabled – Control user agent client hints GREASE update functionality
No new features are introduced in Edge 102 according to the release notes. Microsoft may introduce features in Edge updates that are not listed in the release notes.
Microsoft Edge is updated automatically by default. Edge users can speed up the installation of updates on desktop systems by selecting Menu > Help & Feedback > About Microsoft Edge, or by loading edge://settings/help directly into the browser’s address bar .
The page that opens displays the current version of Edge. Microsoft Edge runs an update check every time the page is opened; any update found is downloaded and installed automatically. A reboot is required to complete the update.